Xen Zynq Distribution Support Forums
Rebuilding Xen Tools - Printable Version

+- Xen Zynq Distribution Support Forums (http://xzdforums.dornerworks.com)
+-- Forum: General Xilinx Support (http://xzdforums.dornerworks.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Getting Started (http://xzdforums.dornerworks.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Rebuilding Xen Tools (/showthread.php?tid=746)

Rebuilding Xen Tools - brettstahlman - 10-26-2017

Incidentally, what's the recommended way to get rebuilt xen tools libraries into the dom0 rootfs? I added some debug code to the libxenforeignmemory source, but it had no effect, apparently because the dom0 rootfs is populated with pre-built binaries. I'm sure I could use losetup/kpartx etc. to copy them in manually, but this would be tedious, especially if I have to do it often. I'm hoping there's a more automated way...

One other build issue I've run into now that I'm building Xen proper with Petalinux and Xen tools manually (make dist-tools) is that the CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=ronaldo recommended in the XZD UM seems to cause multiple definition errors (e.g., on early_puts) when I attempt to rebuild Xen proper after having built the tools manually. I tried setting CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=ronaldo when building Xen proper also, but that didn't fix it. Ended up having to do a full clean to get Xen building again...

Thanks,
Brett S.

RE: Rebuilding Xen Tools - Nathan.Studer - 10-27-2017

(10-26-2017, 04:25 PM)brettstahlman Wrote: Incidentally, what's the recommended way to get rebuilt xen tools libraries into the dom0 rootfs? I added some debug code to the libxenforeignmemory source, but it had no effect, apparently because the dom0 rootfs is populated with pre-built binaries. I'm sure I could use losetup/kpartx etc. to copy them in manually, but this would be tedious, especially if I have to do it often. I'm hoping there's a more automated way...

That is unfortunately the way to do it, but it's not hard to automate.  It may be easier to work with an SD card in this case, since you wouldn't have to bother with loopback images.

Xen does use autotools, so with the appropriate configuration settings you should be able to get the install tool target to do most of the work for you.

(10-26-2017, 04:25 PM)brettstahlman Wrote: One other build issue I've run into now that I'm building Xen proper with Petalinux and Xen tools manually (make dist-tools) is that the CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=ronaldo recommended in the XZD UM seems to cause multiple definition errors (e.g., on early_puts) when I attempt to rebuild Xen proper after having built the tools manually. I tried setting CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=ronaldo when building Xen proper also, but that didn't fix it. Ended up having to do a full clean to get Xen building again...

Thanks,
Brett S.

Thanks for pointing out the issue.  For now you can remove that parameter, since it's really only useful in debugging Xen before it can initialize a proper UART driver.

Nate

(10-27-2017, 02:02 PM)Nathan.Studer Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 04:25 PM)brettstahlman Wrote: One other build issue I've run into now that I'm building Xen proper with Petalinux and Xen tools manually (make dist-tools) is that the CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=ronaldo recommended in the XZD UM seems to cause multiple definition errors (e.g., on early_puts) when I attempt to rebuild Xen proper after having built the tools manually. I tried setting CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=ronaldo when building Xen proper also, but that didn't fix it. Ended up having to do a full clean to get Xen building again...

Thanks,
Brett S.

Thanks for pointing out the issue.  For now you can remove that parameter, since it's really only useful in debugging Xen before it can initialize a proper UART driver.

Nate

The error is in the User Manual.  The argument should be 'CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=zynqmp'.

Nate

RE: Rebuilding Xen Tools - brettstahlman - 11-03-2017

(10-26-2017, 04:25 PM)brettstahlman Wrote: Incidentally, what's the recommended way to get rebuilt xen tools libraries into the dom0 rootfs? I added some debug code to the libxenforeignmemory source, but it had no effect, apparently because the dom0 rootfs is populated with pre-built binaries. I'm sure I could use losetup/kpartx etc. to copy them in manually, but this would be tedious, especially if I have to do it often. I'm hoping there's a more automated way...

That is unfortunately the way to do it, but it's not hard to automate.  It may be easier to work with an SD card in this case, since you wouldn't have to bother with loopback images.

Xen does use autotools, so with the appropriate configuration settings you should be able to get the install tool target to do most of the work for you.

Thanks,
Brett S.

Nate

Thanks,
Brett S.

Nate

The error is in the User Manual.  The argument should be 'CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=zynqmp'.

Nate

Understood.
Thanks, Brett S.