Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Question about Booting ZCU012 using XZD
Peter,

Will you show us the result of a "mmc info" and "mmc part" from U-boot please?

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
ZynqMP> mmc info
ZynqMP> mmc part

Thanks,
Stew
(05-03-2016, 12:38 PM)salerio Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 12:26 PM)jarvis_roach Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 09:01 AM)salerio Wrote:
(03-16-2016, 05:41 PM)joshwhitehead Wrote: Ching-Ho,

Doing some additional investigation on the errors you were seeing, it sounds like the issues you were having might be related to an incorrect xen.ub image in your /tftpboot directory.  Confusingly, the Xilinx BSP for Petalinux includes an old, out-of-date xen.ub image that it will automatically place in your /tftpboot directory when executing petalinux-build.  So if you've ever built any of the Xilinx (non-XZD) BSPs for petalinux there will be an incorrect xen.ub file in your /tftpboot folder.  This means that unless you explicitly overwrite that file with the new xen.ub image from XZD, the board and/or QEMU will attempt to boot using this out of date xen.ub image.

This is especially frustrating because if you don't perform the copy, the boot doesn't fail outright.  Instead Xen appears to be attempting to boot, but eventually fails because it's an old version that doesn't include some necessary changes to properly mount and load the dom0 file system on the SD card (among other changes).  The instructions in the user manual do include a step to copy the new images to the /tftpboot directory, but in future revisions of the manual we will reposition and highlight them to make it more obvious that that step must be completed to boot successfully.  Also be aware that if after you copy in the correct XZD image, and you then build another non-XZD BSP, the correct XZD xen.ub image may be overwritten and need to be recopied to /tftpboot if you want to boot Xen again.

To make sure you have the correct pre-built xen.ub in your /tftpboot folder you can issue the command:
Code:
cp $RELEASE_DIR/dist/images/linux/xen.ub /tftpboot/

We're also working some instructions for booting with everything on the SD card which should alleviate some of this headache in the future.

Sorry we were not able to identify this issue more quickly, please let us know if you have any further issues or questions.

- Josh Whitehead

I too have a C.1 (or 1.C) and have the same SD card problem. I am trying to test the latest BETA Xen distribution.

Salerio,

The problems originally on this thread may have been due to an incorrect Image file (Linux kernel for dom0) finding it's way to /tftpboot, so please verify the versions of your files in that directory. 

Also, according to the ZynqMP UltraScale+ technical reference manual, the SD supported version is 3.0 and the peripheral only supports 3.3V I/O signals. Additionally, the zcu102 board passes all the SDIO signals through a MAX13035E level translator to 3.3V on the SD card side. This means that the ZCU102 board is incompatible with UHS-I and UHS-II standards which require lower voltage levels (reference:https://www.sdcard.org/press/past_evens/pdf/SD_Standards_and_Technology_GWTaipei_Oct2014.pdf). In theory newer SD cards should be backwards compatible, but in practice a 32G Samsung Pro microsd was unable to be recognized. The 8G full size SD cards that were included with the ZCU102 boards seem to work without issue. 

That being said, have you been successful with your SD card when running Linux natively, that is, without Xen in the system?

-Jarvis

Jarvis,

No I have not been successful in using the SD card without Xen (I tested with the PetaLinux 2015.4.1 BSP available in the head start area and had the same or very similar problem, the DOS file system could not be mounted on /dev/mmcblk0p1).

I am using the SanDisk SD 8GB card that came with my C.1 board, so in this case maybe these cards don't work. I have asked my Xilinx technical contact if there are any known issues around this area.

Peter

Jarvis,

I have emptied out my /tftpboot directory and copied in only the files from the dist folder of the Xen distribution and tried again. Same problem.

Peter
(05-03-2016, 01:20 PM)StewartHildebrand Wrote: Peter,

Will you show us the result of a "mmc info" and "mmc part" from U-boot please?

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
ZynqMP> mmc info
ZynqMP> mmc part

Thanks,
Stew

Stew,

Here you go.

ZynqMP> mmc info
Device: zynq_sdhci
Manufacturer ID: 3
OEM: 5344
Name: SS08G