Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Problem with accessing root file system on SD card
Hi, I have just started to work with UltraScale+ MPSoC and have a Rev C.1 ZCU102 supplied by Xilinx. I am starting out with Xen and trying to follow the latest User Manual (v0.6 March 31 2016) together with the latest BETA (XenZynqDist-Beta_02_19_2016) of the Xen distribution. I have followed the instructions and can boot the ZCU102 via JTAG, the kernel however panics when it tries to access the root file system on the SD Card (I have copied Dom0.img to my 8Gb SD Card). I noticied that there has been another thread (from 2015) about this issue. Has any progress been made to solve this issue?

I have attached the console output of the boot.

Thanks in advance
Peter Smith
XZD beta_[b]XZD beta_04_01_2016 Release[b]XZD beta_04_01_2016 Release[/b]04_01_2016 Release[/b]

Attached Files
.txt   Xen MMC Problem.txt (Size: 22.33 KB / Downloads: 13)
Pete,

The issue before was likely due to an incorrect file in the /tftpboot/ directory, which would happen if you use petalinux to build from another project. The first thing I'd recommend is to double check your versions there.

When creating your SD card, did you follow the directions in the User Manual in section 4.2 on your Linux host?

-Jarvis
Yes, i have followed the instructions to the letter.
Peter,

We can reproduce your symptoms when using some different SD cards. Do you have another SD card you could try? Also, any update from Xilinx support getting the SD card to work when running Linux natively?

-Jarvis
(05-05-2016, 01:17 PM)jarvis_roach Wrote: Peter,

We can reproduce your symptoms when using some different SD cards. Do you have another SD card you could try? Also, any update from Xilinx support getting the SD card to work when running Linux natively?

-Jarvis

Jarvis, I have been able to get the SD card working in Xilinx's prebuilt Linux image in the ZCU102 head start lounge. The problem I had there was in fact nothing to do with the SD card itself but a small error in the default u-boot environment which caused the ram root file system not to be mounted. Once I solved that issue the prebuilt images allow me to mount my SD card and use it as expected. I have not had the time to go back and try the Xen solution again yet, but will when time allows. My technical contact at Xilinx in the UK has advised that the next release of PetaLinux will solve all these teething problems.
(05-10-2016, 08:36 PM)salerio Wrote:

-Jarvis

Jarvis, I have been able to get the SD card working in Xilinx's prebuilt Linux image in the ZCU102 head start lounge. The problem I had there was in fact nothing to do with the SD card itself but a small error in the default u-boot environment which caused the ram root file system not to be mounted. Once I solved that issue the prebuilt images allow me to mount my SD card and use it as expected. I have not had the time to go back and try the Xen solution again yet, but will when time allows. My technical contact at Xilinx in the UK has advised that the next release of PetaLinux will solve all these teething problems.

Peter,

That's good news, thank you for updating us on your situation. What was the error with the u-boot environment? Was it some value stored in the QSPI flash?

-Jarvis
(05-12-2016, 12:24 PM)jarvis_roach Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 08:36 PM)salerio Wrote:

-Jarvis

Peter,

That's good news, thank you for updating us on your situation. What was the error with the u-boot environment? Was it some value stored in the QSPI flash?

-Jarvis
No, it was the fact that the sdboot u-boot command was not loading the RAM root file system. I have advised my local Xilinx tech guy here in the UK as the files came from them.