Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xen Hypervisor on Avnet UltrazedEG
Hello,

I have created a petalinux build with xen hypervisor as per http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Building%20the%20Xen%20Hypervisor%20with%20PetaLinux%202017.3

I am able to boot the board with this build. But when I am trying to start DOMU as per
xl create -c example-simple.cfg 

I am getting below error 
[ 1.825059] VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
[ 1.825077] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:

[    1.825500] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
I am not able to find where to update "root" option. Also what should be my rootfs for guest OS. 
Attaching the XEN hypervisor log and guest OS log. 

listing boot args from system-user.dtsi

bootargs = "earlycon clk_ignore_unused root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait uio_pdrv_genirq.of_id=generic-uio cma=1024M";
        stdout-path = "serial0:115200n8";

I have used xen-overlay.dtsi from ZCU 102 pre-built image downloaded from Xilinx. I am booting from SD card. I have created 2 partitions (BOOT(mmcblk0p1) and rootfs(mmcblk0p2))

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Attached Files
.txt   XEN_log .txt (Size: 31.23 KB / Downloads: 0)
.txt   guestOS_log.txt (Size: 16.63 KB / Downloads: 1)
(09-04-2018, 05:01 AM)ttsivan Wrote: Hello,

I have created a petalinux build with xen hypervisor as per http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Building%20the%20Xen%20Hypervisor%20with%20PetaLinux%202017.3

Have you tried the 2018.1 release of XZD, instead?  It comes with pre-built binaries for the UltraZed board.

(09-04-2018, 05:01 AM)ttsivan Wrote: I am able to boot the board with this build. But when I am trying to start DOMU as per
xl create -c example-simple.cfg 

I am getting below error 
[ 1.825059] VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
[ 1.825077] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:

[    1.825500] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
I am not able to find where to update "root" option. Also what should be my rootfs for guest OS. 
Attaching the XEN hypervisor log and guest OS log. 

listing boot args from system-user.dtsi

bootargs = "earlycon clk_ignore_unused root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait uio_pdrv_genirq.of_id=generic-uio cma=1024M";
        stdout-path = "serial0:115200n8";

I have used xen-overlay.dtsi from ZCU 102 pre-built image downloaded from Xilinx. I am booting from SD card. I have created 2 partitions (BOOT(mmcblk0p1) and rootfs(mmcblk0p2))

The boot args, device tree, and SD card partitions you listed are all used by Dom0.  For DomU, you need to include the filesystem with the kernel image or provide backing storage with a filesystem and pass the location of that storage to the Xen tools through the configuration and partial device tree.

The instructions on the Xilinx wiki look to assume an initramfs kernel, so if you follow their instructions to build a Linux kernel with an initramfs, you should be able to use it as a DomU kernel without worrying about storage, config files, or partial device trees.

Nate
Hi,

Its working now with modifications to example-simple.cfg 

As my Image is expecting a RAMDISK file, I have to specify that in example-simple.cfg as well as root option

Thank you..